The concept of social networking is not new. However; in the contemporary digital context, social networking is defined as the process of communicating with family and friends, to search for and add people who share common interests, thinking, attitudes and activities among a community of like minded digital users through the use of various social networking sites such as facebook and twitter.
(b) The types of social networking technologies and sites that I already use are:
- Weblogs-WordPress (Open source bogging software)
- facebook (Social group networking)
- Pinterest (social media sharing site)
- YouTube (social media-video sharing site)
- Twitter (microblogging)
- Delicious (book marking)
- Mixi (social group networking in Japan)
(c) What I would expect to learn from INF 506
Through the INF 506 module, I hope to achieve the following
- To understand, develop knowledge and skills in the use of various social networking websites and technologies to support the information and learning needs of the school community.
- To understand, learn and apply social networking tools and technologies especially in the school library context.
- To understand more about Library 2.0 concepts and to learn ways to transform the library.
- To learn how to facilitate physical and virtual space with Web 2.0 technologies in order to meet library users’ needs and expectation.
- To understand the social, cultural, economic, educational, ethical implication of positive aspects and issues associated with the use of social networking technologies.
- To learn how Information policy is developed and implemented into the school community so that social networking technologies can be used and harnessed ethically, effectively and efficiently.